About the Duke Hostel Backpackers
The Duke Hostel began life as the Duke of Edinburgh Hotel, dating back to at least 1874 according to this preserved newspaper article detailing hotel licensing. Note that Hospital Street became Guiness Street in 1913. It enjoyed a great deal of popularity for many years, being host to weddings, parties, and it was the pub of choice for some of the local rugby clubs. After being closed in the mid 1990s, it was purchased and converted into a backpackers hostel in 1998. The bar was generally only opened on special occasions after that.
New owners Daniel and Glenn Hopping purchased the Duke in early 2018. Having worked in other industries in the past, the father and son team decided they wanted to go into business together with the Duke. They are very passionate about providing a high quality and great value accommodation service to visitors and restoring the Duke to it's former glory.
Website Designed and Hosted by Go Tech